Thursday, May 17, 2007

It's good to be back (part II)


Penang, Malaysia - wow it's been a year and a half since I was last in Penang. Got to meet a lot of friends I haven't seen in ages, and indulge in one of my favorite activities (eating). This picture was taken from Penang bridge, an approximately 14km bridge where an semi-marathon is held annually. It's an event attended by people all over, going across the bridge and back to the starting point. I remember participating in this event a few years back (okay, 10 years back ><). It was fun, especially the part of almost passing out halfway through the run.

Saint Anne's Church - one of the oldest churches in the region, also a site of an annual event where people light candles and place them in or near the church.












Last stop: Taiwan

This picture shows Taipei 101, the tallest (or was the tallest - it's hard to keep track nowadays; everyone wants to build the next tower of babel) building in the world. Since this was taken around mother's day, the chinese words for "mom" were displayed ont he building. At the top of the building is a revolving restaurant which I heard requires a reservation made several months in advance to eat at.
















A live street performer at Dan Shuei (淡水), about 1 hour from Taipei via subway. Dan Shuei was probably the highlight of my trip, for reasons I won't disclose here ;)

Anyway this particular live performer was extremely good - I bought a CD of his for NT 100(about 3 USD). I'd say he's at least as good as the majority of taiwanese pop singers that are of "superstar" status. Yes, he's that good. It's a pity my crappy cellphone camera couldn't zoom in enough to show his face - this photo would be really $$$$ when this guy becomes famous in the future :D




Sunset at Dan Shuei...














"Lover's bridge" (情人桥) at Dan Shuei - the bridge really is skewed (it's not the camera). Nice atmosphere, live music, waterfront - now I know why this place is one of the more popular... dating (ahem) locations near Taipei.














Overall I had a great time there, and I hope to return soon ^^

2 comments:

Petra said...

It's good to know that you appreciate the small island. I miss it when looking at the photos.

It looks you have been there several times. Hope to talk about your experience next time.

Wei-Jung

voicesinmymind said...

Oh... I was wondering who "林" was haha

Yes, it was a really nice place - I definitely have no regrets of going there ^^