Sunday, March 18, 2007

300!

Yes, one of the more anticipated movies of 2007 for me. I finally got to watch it this past weekend. I can't help but notice the similarities between this movie and "hero" in terms of cinematography - except in 300, the background scenery is actually computer generated.

Wow, what can I say. The action scenes are just awesome. I'll definitely buy the DVD when it comes out, just to see the action scenes again. Story-wise, there's nothing much to say. It's pretty predictable anyway. But that's not the main point of the movie. Did I mention that the action scenes are awesome?

One thing that was a little wierd was that the people from Sparta were portrayed as highly sophisticated, enlightened and wise, as well as valued freedom above everything else. Gimme a break. Sparta was just as bad as Persia in terms having slave labor during that time. When they kept referring to "free men", "freedom doesn't come free" etc, perhaps they were referring to their freedom to own slaves. Who knows.

There are a lot of people who are pretty pissed off with this movie, due to it's dehumanizing of the Persian empire. Wow. Everyone in Sparta is looks like a supermodel, while almost everyone in the Persian empire looks, well, deformed. Oh well - one reasoning is because the story is supposedly told by a Spartan warrior to his fellow comrades, in the Spartan warrior's eyes, the opponents ARE monsters. I don't feel like delving into this controversy in my blog, so just look up google and you'll easily find hundreds of topics on this.

Anyway, I recommend you see this movie, if just for the action scenes. They're as good as they get. Seriously. 6/10 (due to the fact that it had absolutely no plotline).

Additional comment by a friend of mine who didn't like the 6/10 score I gave this movie:

"...you just put yourself in that moment. That's how you watch these kinds of movies. Just pretend you're there.... You think those guys fighting those Persians were thinking.... "should i stab him? I don't want to offend the Persians"

If you put yourself in that moment, you'll just want to kill with them"

Well I guess he has a point. But still, I'm sticking to my guns. The score of 6/10 remains ^^

hah!


In Sparta, everyone walks around sporting briefs, a cloak and an 8-pack.

No comments: